Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM
PghPat

Default Pulling my hair out - FMQ (trying to learn) on Janome 6600 - GRRRR

Can someone help me. I have been trying to learn off and on for about 4 years to Free Motion Quilt and every time I think I am determined to stick to it until it clicks. So far I have given up every time. Now I think I am doing worse than ever. My thread keeps breaking. I have checked everything and even put different foot on to do straight sewing to see if the thread breaks and it doesn't. I have tried about 6 different threads and it sews for 10 seconds and then breaks when trying to FMQ. I have the feed dogs down, FMQ foot on, fast machine, slow hands - what am I doing wrong. I think I did the very same thing about 3 weeks ago on a practice piece and it looked decent - not good - but decent. Any suggestions? I have tried a different needle and it didn't help.

I love doing stitch in the ditch and have no problem - hide my stitching very well. I read where so many people say that SITD is one of the hardest and I have no problem with that. I have a quilt I'm trying to quilt and did quite a bit of SITD on it but have areas in each block that needs to be filled in and would love to do a little FMQ in them - nothing fancy - just stippling/meandering.

Frustrated!!!!! to say the least. Pat