View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Macybaby

Here are some examples of what I've been experimenting with using the satin stitch. My main machine is electronic and a bit limited in stitch width.

I can go 0-6, but only in whole increments, and it was noticeable when I went from 1 to 2 and then 3. So I switched to my older White that has a dial, so I can get a much smoother transition. Though this is not my Mother's machine, it is the model she had when I was young. We also had a Singer 201, and when we got good with that one, Mom would let us graduate to the "good" machine. This machine is just a few years younger than I am (and I do have the machine my mom owned before buying this one).

I'm by no means accomplished at doing this - I'm not posting to brag about my ability - but to help give others ideas. Besides, making mistakes is the best why to learn a better way to do things LOL!!

These were all done with the feed dogs in the "nylon" position, and the foot pressure way light. I also put the buttonhole/cording foot on the machine as it has a nice bottom gap for the thread to fit under. I tried a darning foot, but since it did not have that gap, it didn't work. The feed dogs are engaged enough to help control, but I can still move the fabric sideways and around easily. I found for tight curves, sew SLOW and turn FAST.

For the outlining, I experimented with using a narrow zigzag.

But what I liked better (becuase it gives a more "hand" look) was to drop the feeddogs and do it free hand. I did a straight stitch on the lines, then turned and went backwards doing a narrow zigzag, but I kept the fabric close to the same direction. I found I had better visiblity going backward than forward. I'm going to try a few other ideas for this too before I decide what to do with the gold/purple blocks.