Thread: 1956 Singer 99K
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
She has a lot of crazing/cracks in her finish on the bed so she may be the one that I try Glenn's info/method to restore the finish.
Be sure to read everything and get a good idea what to expect - then practice on some piece of junk... you can even practice on furniture if it has shellac finish on it. Glenn's tutorial was not set up for someone to make a lot of money by fixing someone's mistakes - the more informed you are and the better you comprehend what you are doing the better your expectations will be met. You will not get a factory finish this way but you can get an improved looking machine. I have a couple with crazed finish that I'm working up my nerve to do. So far all I've done are some that were junk to begin with. Usually I stop too soon but that is ok it can be started over at any time. If you shoot a pic ahead of time & ask, Glenn might be able to tell you what to expect. I can tell you the results are good and a lot easier and cheaper than a repaint. For the old machines I think it is a great idea just to refinish them. It also preserves more of the character of the machine. Arm yourself with info before you start... Then don't get in a hurry.