View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Rodney

I got the 401A working this evening. Whoever was in it last had a part put in wrong. I don't know the name of it but it's hooked to a spring and keeps the flapper riding against the cam followers. It was turned the wrong way and was blocking the full range of vertical motion for the outside dial's cam follower. Don't ask me the real names of any of these parts. I'm just happy I was able to figure it out. I'm guessing that this might have been the reason the machine found it's way to the thrift store.

The upper tension also fell apart in my hand when I tried to adjust it. I probably spent 2 hours fiddling just getting this machine working. It still has a few stickers that need removed and a thorough cleaning ahead of it but I do like the way it sews. It's a smooth, powerful and fast machine.

Tammi I'll be reading more of your blog again. This machine has the button controller and it needs adjusted, probably cleaned too. Thanks for the tutorials on how to do it. I'm not getting any real midrange on the speed.

This machine was a complete, at least partially working machine in the condition I found it. I'm still not done fixing and cleaning it. I think it's a good example of why a fully serviced machine that's actually clean and ready to be used is worth far more than a $25 thrift store find like this one. I'm not sure what it would have cost to have the work done in a shop but I'm certain it would be far more than the purchase price of the machine.

I've played with the machine enough already to see why people like this series of machine so much. It gets a solid vote of approval from Olivia too. I don't think I'll be selling it, Olivia won't let me.
Rodney