Thread: Hexie Dilemna
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Billi

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
I love your fabrics, Sharon, and I agree that the all-dark flowers look better against the medium value of the background; that being the reason too, I believe, that the mixed do not have the same pop --- the medium value petals are getting lost against the background. Summarily: Value.

But the romance of the Civil War repros is there and, using each and every one of the fabrics in the collection, I would take this approach: Set all your flowers around the same-color centers as you have done. Mix the darks, lights, mediums on each flower and set them in place. Then, to set them up with high contrast, quilt with a decorative stitch on the outside edge of each "flower" in a very dark brown or even black - perhaps 30-weight thread (size 16 needle, topstitch [sharp], large hole).

Hope some of this helps.

~Jo
I am not a hexi expert nor do I play one on tv. Heck I've never made a single hexagon let alone a whole hexi quilt but I love this idea. I can picture it and I feel like it would look like something your great grandmother would have made with the dark stitching around them.

Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be wonderful the fabrics are very pretty.