View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Macybaby

This needle turn thing is pretty neat! I'm sewing, and it seems second nature to me, tiny stitches and precision needle placement and all - yet I know I've never done this type of applique before . . .

So I'm thinking and thinking - what have I done previously that would make this so simple for me? And I finally remembered. I worked in a medical facility for about 6 months, stitching collars on heart valve prosthesis. This was done with very fine thread under a microscope, and each stitch had to be placed so no thread showed as any bumps or miss stitches could be a place blood could clot at. Each one was inspected thoroughly after completion, before going through the sterilization and pressing process.

I worked in a clean room, had to suit up and scrub up before entering. Only worked there for about 6 months and then got laid off because the company had problems getting FDA approval for sales in the US. So now I remember where I learned how to do this LOL!!

If anyone is curious, this shows a picture of the type. That flange around the outside is what had to be stitched on by hand.

http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/m...eart-valve.php

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.