View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 AM
RugosaB

Default basenji table topper

(Warning - skip 'story' to see photo)

There is a gal in the basenji world that is obviously not rich, but shows and tries to do things the responsible way in her breeding. (she's single, lives in a trailer, and works at Walmart, hence the 'not rich' comment)

A couple of months ago she commented on a basenji email list that Walmart now has fat quarters with BASENJIS!!!!
There are other breeds on the fabric, but it is so very unusual to find a print with basenjis.

I go to Walmart about once a month and now buy whatever fat quarters they have of this print. I won't say how many I have but I am a fabric hoarder if that gives you any hint. There are 4 basenjis per fat quarter and the fq is 99 cents.

I always thought I would make Chris a table topper using the basenjis as a 'thank you.' (I never would have known about them without her.)

A couple of weeks ago we found out she had an ‘oops’ litter (her male bred her female, an unplanned event). The responsible breeders in the breed all agree that oops litters are not a good thing but we know they happen. (I had 2 in one year). As long as the breeder evaluates why it happened, and then fixes the setup so it doesn’t happen again, they are forgiven.

A breeder, Sally, who has been active in the breed for years, publicly offered to house Chris’ male at the times her females are in heat. She mentioned to Chris that this is the third year this has happened and something needs to be done so it doesn’t happen again. She said she has 6 empty kennels and would not charge Chris anything for doing it, she is doing it for the good of the breed. Some people told Chris to neuter the dog, but Sally knew Chris’ male was a nice dog, doing extremely well in shows, has had the health tests responsible basenji breeders do, knows he comes from a good bloodline. He will be an asset to the breed so neutering him would not be the right answer, especially since only intact males can be shown.

So, I made Sally a table topper, using the basenji part of the print. The colors in the fabric are not my favorites and a light blue and brown are really the only colors I could think of that would work, so here it is. (warned you that it was a long story)

I still plan on making something for Chris
Attached Thumbnails email-size.jpg