View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 AM
slbram17

Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
After reading posts on here about turning your sewing machine sideways to quilt, I decided to build my own quilting table from wood and fabric scraps I had around the house. I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood which I cut 16 inches by 32 inches so it would fit on top of my sewing cabinet. I then cut a slot out for my machine to fit in. I measured how high I needed it to be to give me a flat quilting surface and ripped four 14 inch long 1 x 4's on my table saw to attach as skid-type legs and attached them to the plywood leaving room on the ends to attach the batting, fabric and clear vinyl. I attached the legs with several nails then used my palm sander to round off all the edges. I covered the top with 1 layer of 80/20 batting and a piece of fabric which I attached with a staple gun and added a piece of clear vinyl on top of that.

It works great and is light enough to move when using my machine for piecing. I can also take it with me when I travel and set it up on a table.

My mother has the same machine I do, so I made one for her as well. It only took a couple hours to build each one. I thought about putting something on the front to give it a more finished look, but decided I like having it open to put my extra bobbins, clippers and other items out of the way but within easy reach.
Looks great but wouldn't you still have bulk inside the harp of the machine? I must be missing something.