Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Ellpea

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
Ellpea, are you using a pot for the cleaning solution and one for rinsing the steel wool? If not, I highly recommend it! Yes, take your time or the finish will be gone by too aggressive cleaning. On the flip side, cleaning the grime out of the steel wool makes for more efficient use of your time and doesn't strip off the original finish. You must constantly monitor the wood's surface to know when to stop because the grime is gone, or regretfully WISH you had stopped.

That rinse pot, with the same mixture, keeps the tool useable and allows for the dirt to be lifted away, not redistributed all over your beloved piece. Enjoy the process!
Annette, I appreciate the caution, as I am one of those obsessive people who sometimes take things like this too far. I'm not using a separate pot for rinsing (hadn't thought of that). But I do move to a new area of the steel wool. I have the solution in a bottle with a narrow neck, and apply the solution directly to the steel wool.

The solution separates in the bottle, so it has to be shaken (not stirred :-) each time. I keep a cork on the bottle to prevent accidents, and to allow for shaking. So far this is working very well, and so far I don't think I've gone too far! The finish continues to be smooth and it still has its clear coat.

Fortunately I have some other things to keep me busy so I'm not hyper-focused on that wooden base right now. I give it a few little rubs, wipe it clean, and while its drying I move on to fooling with or servicing a machine. This is a very therapeutic hobby (especially when hubby is busy with football season)!