View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
QBeth

DannyValentine -

When I started, my first attempt was going to be a log cabin. But, I found the process of choosing, buying, and cutting all those fabrics began got overwhelming. Next attempt was taking a beginner's class where a maple leaf block was created. I was SO nervous, my hands shook the whole time (don't know why) and, I was sweating buckets trying to keep up with my classmates who didn't appear to be fellow beginners. Seemed to me, by the time I completed my one block, they had the top done and were starting to tape the layers together on the floor!

Well, happily I've come a long way (I hope) since then. No more shakes and I now realize that quilters of all levels attend these classes, that the reason to take classes is 50% to learn but also 50% to smooze with fellow quilters.

Sorry for the long chat.... back to your question... I think you should stick with 4 or 9 patches for awhile. Alex Anderson (of TV fame) said the best lesson she ever learned was on a quilting cruise (we should all have such $$) where the instructor insisted they keep practice sewing until they got a perfect 1/4" seam.

For example, sew two 2 1/4" squares together. Press carefully. Is the finished rectangle 4" long? If not, first check that the seam is pressed correctly, and if it is, try again with two more squares. This is basically the process you're using for your 9-patch. Is your finished 9-patch block the correct size? It all has to do with that 1/4".

Anyways, welcome to the quilting world! Don't get discouraged - quilting grows on you. There's lots of advice on this site and plenty of people more than willing to help. Enjoy!