View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM
lfty298

hi aszule
welcome to the qb and quilting - it is a wonderful and creative craft/art that is valued and enjoyed all over the world. i appreciate your enthusiasm and your affection for your bff, so please don't take anything i am about to say as negative or discouraging. everyone starts somewhere and there are many quilters here that will be offering you support, advice and answers to the many questions you will have as you begin sewing.
that is a very complicated pattern for someone starting from scratch. you want to look for something much less complex that will give you a chance to gain a few skills and not require a huge investment in supplies. you don't want this quilt to cost more than the baby's future tuition to harvard. keep in mind that your very first efforts will probably not be as wonderful as you plan them to be. start with something really simple - pet mats or a lap quilt for yourself.
here are some suggestions to get started.
check craftsy.com - there is a free mini course by gail kessler - piece patch and quilt. she discusses lots of stuff to buy - but also just simple techniques which will give you an idea of where you are heading. you don't need to buy everything at once.
missouri star quilt company - they have a huge library of videos (check you tube) - mostly featuring the precuts they sell. jenny doan has lots of easy designs that will give you a way to start. a disclaimer - i don't use precuts myself (there was no such thing when i started quilting) but i can see the value of them and i like the simple doable approach on msq. you will have a pattern (from the free video) fabric and very little cutting to do.
you can spend several hundred dollars - just 'getting started' - but it is not necessary to do this. a pencil, a ruler (6x12 is an always useful size) and a decent pair of scissors are really all you need for your first quilt (especially if you go with the precuts). and of course, needles, thread, pins, and a tape measure.

do you have a sewing machine (or access to one) or are you planning to hand piece and quilt? i typically machine piece and hand quilt (my favorite) and sometimes do bit of machine quilting.
don't get discouraged by conflicting advice - there are many approaches in quilting - and amazingly, many of them work! you will find what works for you - and maybe, sometime down the road, completely change your mind. learning to accurately cut measure and sew really takes some practice.
stay - ask questions - don't be afraid to make mistakes. as we quilters say - they are just new design opportunities.
lefty - in philly