View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Quercus Rubra

Thumbs up Janurary Project of the Month

Good Morning Everyone and Happy New Years!!

I'll be the Project of the Month (POM) leader this year and I'm so excited!! I'm looking forward to sharing some neat projects that would make great gifts to give throughout the year. And if you have a great gift making project that you would like to share, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to have a volunteer with a second project each month if possible. Doesn't that sound like lots of FUN?

Today I'll be showing you how to make this month's project, a reversible matching can wrap & snack mat from pre-quilted fabric. I was able to use left over pieces from other projects, including the binding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504806[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504807[/ATTACH]

You will need:
  • A Fat Quarter of Pre-Quilted fabric in you choice of print
  • One package of Packaged Double-folded Binding
  • One package of Sticky Velcro
  • Basic sewing needs

Here is a picture of the end results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504797[/ATTACH]

First you need a template of the cozy wrap. I used one that I free handed. I know that you can find them in gas stations & other places that coffee is commonly sold on light-weight card board. So there is lots of ways to make a template. They are generally around 9" X 4" when completed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504794[/ATTACH]

This would be also the time to cut out the size snack mat that you desire. For this one I made it 10" X 13". Next you pin on the pre-made binding as seen below. You are now ready to sew.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504810[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504796[/ATTACH]

Once you have the binding attached on both pieces, you are ready for the Velcro. Now I used the little squares that are 7/8" or 2.2 cm. You can use strips that are cut to your preferred length. When placing the Velcro on; you place the 2 "fuzzy" squares on the same side. One on each end, and then turn your cozy over and place the 2 "hooks" sides on each end. The permits the cozy to be completely reversible!

Now a couple of notes here: I had to hand sew my Velcro bits down by hand as my machine didn't like sewing them. If you wish this cosy to fit larger cups, bottles etc., you can add an extra couple inches in the center of your template. When you do that you can place the "fuzzy" Velcro horizontal on both sides before sewing
it down.

Here are have are some pictures with the can all dressed up & ready to go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504797[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]504798[/ATTACH]

And here we have an insulated travel mug modelling for us with both views.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504799[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]504800[/ATTACH]

Well there it is folks. I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and I look forward to see more in the 2015 POM January Photos thread.

Next month I'm going show you how to make pretty mini quilt using free coloring pages. This is a great one to personalize for everyone from wee ones to our Elders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504811[/ATTACH]

Thanks for stopping by. And remember, if you have an idea that you would like to share or have me make; be sure to reach out & contact me. I would love to have a volunteer each month to show us a wonderful gift to make later in the month too!! So come on and put your thinking caps on Y'all!!

Tricia

Attached Thumbnails dscn5136.jpg   dscn5141.jpg   dscn5148.jpg   dscn5149.jpg   dscn5147.jpg  

dscn5146.jpg   dscn5135.jpg   dscn5144.jpg   dscn5138.jpg   dscn5137.jpg  

Last edited by Quercus Rubra; 01-05-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: pictures