View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM
gale

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
yes, stored in fridge. frozen in small quantity so easy to use up fast. that's why i use the little glass jars that storebought spices come in. i am not an expert, but i think any fresh vegie stored w/o the high heat/pressure of processing can be a source of botulism. over the many years that i have been putting up garden produce i only got sick once. when i first got the bright idea to save some of my sweet corn many years ago i got really bad stomach issues. one of the docs in the ER i was working in laughed when i told him what i had eaten the night before & told me what i had done to myself ...i bought a pressure cooker after that.
In that case it should be used as quickly as a regular leftover, which would be about 3-4 days. Botulism is deadly so whatever you got from the corn probably was something else. Garlic is especially low acid and when it's store in oil (most leftover veggies would not be, I would imagine) it's doubly dangerous because of the anaerobic conditions.

Unless it's canned (professionally-I don't can anymore) it should be treated as a leftover. Used within 3-4 days or frozen.