View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by Aszule View Post
Why is it bad that all of the cuts are on a bias? Because it makes the fabric stretchier and more easy to warp? What makes this pattern so difficult? It looks really repetitive.... Once I make 1 block wont i just keep doing that over and over again until I hate myself and my stupid quilt idea?
Yes, bias edges stretch and warp very, very easily. You can control SOME of that with lots (and I mean LOTS) of starch - preferably liquid Sta-flo that you mix to your desired strength as needed. Some folks 'paint' their fabric with starch - in a heavy concentration in these situations - to get the fabric to a 'stiff as a board' feel to help with the stretching/warping.

I've not done one of these quilts...they scare me!...but I'm guessing at some point you need to stack your fabric cuts EXACTLY and then cut through the 6 layers that Tartan mentions. Cutting through that many layers can be a challenge as well. Many of us are challenged just cutting through 2 layers at once!

Perhaps if your nearby shop is not able to help with this specific pattern, there may be a fellow QB member near to you that might be able to give you some help one-on-one. If so, I'm sure they will PM (private message) you. As some one else mentioned, check with your local quilt shop (LQS) for either a class or a local guild that might be able to provide you help as well.

Good luck. I'm another that, just because someone says it's for an advanced crafter doesn't mean it can't be done first time out. But patience is certainly a virtue.