View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM
PenniF

Aszule.....i admire your willingness to do the OBW block...and that fabric is great for it....there are books and videos that can help you....You will need at least SIX repeats of the pattern in the amount of fabric you buy...so look carefully at that fabric -- -they sell it at most JoAnn Fabric shops -(I just bought some to make a Star Trek quilt for my 70+ year old Aunt who's a Trekkie)....that will make it easier to know exactly how many yards you will need.

Yes, OBW is a challenge....but you don't sound the least bit afraid of that....so i say if you have the will and the want and the patience to learn to do it - GO for it.

I will say....Spray starch your fabric well - that helps with the bias edges.....
Also...since have not sewn in the past, are you planning to do this by machine or by hand....either way will work - looks up Jinny Beyer for hand sewing info if you want - she is the Goddess of hand piecing/quilting. My first quilts were stitched by hand as i didn't own a sewing machine in those days. They are still in use.

Good luck.....and while you can get a lot of help here on line... I bet there is someone from the QB in your area that would love to help you out up close and personal.

PS....i also like the line from "Desiderata"......"you are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars"