Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
joym

Originally Posted by reneaunoel View Post
I got "burned out" a little making (planning, cutting and doing the massive layout and piecing) for a super-king sized quilt, so challenged myself with a controlled, CRIB sized D9P with ONLY 10 fabrics. 9 for the front, and a very bright, beautiful bird fabric for the back. None of the 9 were "matched", although I did try to be consistent with the contrast. Once I pieced and sliced the first block, I took pictures of the different layouts, then used my PC to show the finished idea. Chose one layout, and then did all the top piecing at one go. Then I ironed and put it all away for the day. Took time to visit, enjoy the sights and relax. Next day, I checked the ironing, made the final cuts, flipped all blocks the correct way (by the plan!) and pieced it all together. 3rd day, sandwiched the whole thing. Hot pink thread on top, light mauve in bobbin and FMQ bubbles or pebbles, or grapes, whatever you want to call them. That was the best part of the whole process. In about a week of total time, I had a crib quilt ready, and my co-workers grandson, cares NOT that I used pink threads, he loves his bright quilt!

9 patch, in any form, is very forgiving of colors. Have fun, and enjoy the finished product. If an all over pattern is your goal, use your camera or even better, grid paper and color the layout. The final product may be more subtle than you planned, but YOU know what's there. AND everyone who looks at the quilt, will be in awe of what you've created!
Thank you so much for all your explanation/help. It helps me a lot. ��