Thread: Singer VS 2
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Champanier

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I have that same head in a treadle and it sews fantastic. Interesting note, I have seen 5 of those with broken or missing hinges and it is ALWAYS the front one... Odd.
Yes, I remember you posting your beautiful VS2. This had the same stand and top, but the seller kept the top and drawers. That is funny about the hinges. I have the top and treadle part, but I have to see whether it can go together without the drawer framework. It was already in pieces when I got it, but the seller gave me some hardware that was on the drawer frame.

I worked for about three hours on the decals with sewing machine oil and cotton. It made some difference, but it's making me nervous. I can't quite tell if I'm actually cleaning or taking off decals. The finish on the decals is crazed and some have definitely flaked off in the past. I'm not seeing anything but dirt on the cotton, so I think it's okay. They're very slow to emerge, but I keep reminding myself that the machine is 124 years old, so there's a lot of dirt to get through. I think I'm somewhere between WWI and the Depression.