View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Sewnoma

I bought a new car last year and I'm super fond of VW's (my dad drove a '54 beetle as his daily driver, and also had a 1950 split-window beetle that had to be started with a crank!) but I was NOT impressed with the new beetle when I test-drove it.

It felt very cramped, the navigation screen was TINY, and when I got it out on the freeway it didn't have much "poop" to it, even though it was a Turbo. I "punched" it and it just got louder, didn't go any faster - I couldn't pass a truck. I also didn't like the handling, I can't describe exactly what I didn't like but it just didn't "feel right" to me.

I was really disappointed - until that test drive the beetle was my #1 choice (for sentimental reasons and also because they are SO darn cute) but I was so underwhelmed by the test drive that I ended up buying a Hyundai Veloster (turbo) instead. (Which I am still very fond of, a year later)

I'd say go to a dealer and take one for a drive, see what you think. I have a coworker who has a 2014 VW Turbo Beetle and she LOVES it. It sure does look cute out there in the parking lot, LOL.

Some day I'd love to get another 50's-era beetle like my Dad had, and restore it back to stock. I will ALWAYS have a huge soft spot for those cars.