View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I have an expensive, heavy-duty steam cleaner that is my preference for deep-cleaning bathrooms.

For general cleaning up in bathrooms, I always reach for Kaboom. It's an inexpensive spray that works better than anything else I have tried. I like the Kaboom granules for cleaning the toilet too.

Got tired of using Windex for mirrors and just bought some Invisible Glass to try out. I think there will be less streaking with it. When cleaning mirrors, *be sure* to spray whatever you are using on the paper towel, not directly on the mirror. This protects the mirror.

I like vinegar for cleaning but, since my dh can't stand the smell of it, I use it only when he isn't around. The smell dissipates completely, so it doesn't bother him if there are a few hours before he comes home.

We have stainless steel appliances that do not have the "fingerprint" protection on them. After cleaning, they are always streaky. To get rid of the streaks, I have found a few drops of baby-weight mineral oil on a soft cloth works wonders. Do not use regular-weight mineral oil, as it is too heavy for this purpose.

If you are not familiar with cleaning, you should try out new cleaners in a small inconspicuous spot before going whole hog. Different cleaners can absolutely permanently damage different surfaces. I have to avoid vinegar for our shower tile, for example, because the tile is natural limestone and vinegar will eat holes in it! Similarly, vinegar is a great cleaner for many surfaces, but it will permanently mar the finish on our hardwood floors. (Diluted vinegar works great on many hardwood floors, but not mine.)

My favorite cleaner to get rid of lime deposits (those whitish deposits left near faucets after water evaporates) is LemiShine. It is great for cleaning dishwashers too, BUT it will permanently damage expensive enamel-coated bakeware if you try to use it to clean that type of thing.

I buy both LemiShine and Kaboom at Walmart.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-10-2015 at 12:03 PM.