View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Jitterbug

I have 100's of quilting magazines that I've bought/kept as early as 80's til now. In 1996 there was a publication called "Miniature Quilt Ideas" by the editors of "Quilt Magazine". I just pulled out one of them that had Cake Stand Baskets that I loved,and turned out so adorable. The BLOCK size(cake stand block) is total 4", subcut of the squares to make the triangles was 1 7/8" When completed with four cake stand baskets on point with one inner border of 1"(1 1/2" before sewing)and another border of 2",plus binding, it measures 17 1/2" by 17 1/2". In these magazines, it offered paper pieced and some rotary cut pieced patterns. All were small in completed form with all the individual block pieces being of small scale as well. I have noticed that some of what is shown on the 'net in images as miniature quilts were not of the true miniature and just the completed quilt size being "miniature".On the flip side there are some beautiful ones that are the true miniature as it first started out to be. I made several for wall hangings, doll quilts for my collection of dolls, and for gifts for others,and sold some as well. It is fun, challenging and hope others try it.