View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM
margecam52

Originally Posted by MollieSue View Post
I'm finally trying to use machine I bought two years ago... and my upper thread keeps breaking at the needle!
I'm pretty sure I have it threaded right... It's a Brother PQ1500S. Any ideas please?
I looked at the manual...When you are holding the bobbin case in one hand, looking at the bobbin in the case...the thread should go counter clockwise (over the top of the bobbin and then down on the left side. Do you still have your manual? If not, here is a link: http://download.brother.com/welcome/...s_om01enfr.pdf
Read the manual over and over to make sure you are using the right needle, that it's in all the way, and that it's the correct size for your use. If you are going to quilt with it...I'd use a size 16 needle and if you can find them locally, a size 14 microtex or topstitch needle. Both of them have a larger eye to handle the heavier threads (40 wt embroidery or quilting threads). What do you have your tension set at? Again, check the manual. Are you doing free motion with the feed dogs down, or are you going to sew/quilt straight lines with feed dogs up? If you are doing free motion...it takes a bit of practice to not move too fast or slow to start..can easily break needles. Doing free motion...you need feed dogs down and a darning foot on the machine.