Thread: Singer 31?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:07 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

31-15 is the best of the 31's there parts are as cheap as a home machine , yes the motor runs via that pedal, but thats not treadle.

no idea what you have to haul it in. the machine will just lift out of the table, after removing the belt,
if you are using a pickup, SUV hatch back, some car that the rear opens up and have two people or a hand truck. take screw driver of Philips and straight tip. small and big of each. large and small crescents

I would remove the bobbin winder, and that wooden peg behind the machine, grad twist and pull. tilt the table with the motor end down and onto the hand truck, hoping there's no strairs. at the car just tilt the table into the car table top down on the blankets you put down first and slide it in.

with the head remove , and you have to carry it the heavy end is the motor end.

a full tear down tilt with the motor down, remove screws holding the switch , wiring maybe the light ( don't see one ) bring tape or wire ties, bundle that up and hold together via the ties, There will be three large bolts holding the motor on and the pitman rod, remove the rod and nuts holding the motor, careful to support teh motor it can fall off. all that now comes off as a complete unit. maybe around 50+ lbs

table top you'll see four large wood screws at each corner, with those remove that top will come off. you have a top and stand, both those would fit the back seat of a honda or yugo.

weight wise, head and motor heaviest. top and stand are very close depending how thick that top is

I would take the top, lets say it needs no regluing , use actone and rags clean the top up. if you just use light wiping a decent wax will make it very smooth again.

I have done the two I use in polyurethane. makes for a very hard finish. you can toss tools all over the top and not scratch a thing ..set coffee cups down and never have to worry about water rings,

stop reading this and get over there . LOLOL