Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
ragamuffin

As a quilter, hobby person, and a past packer for an international moving company, I would suggest you scale down in every room and pack it up. Take the items that are personal like family pictures, jewelry, and things that are of real value to you and pack it carefully. The heavier the item, the smaller the box. I have lots of books, first editions and author signed which I cherish and of course, I would pack everything myself. I have quilting magazines and I want them all. I have read them cover to cover and a lot of the patterns are being used in the new quilts of today. If you know who is going to move you, contact them and ask for boxes. Put books straight up like you do on a shelf. Lay magazines flat, or if the magazine sets upright in the box, pack them that way. They will be heavy. I would not use big boxes for fabric, I would go with the smaller book box, especially if you are going to unpack them, they would be heavy for you. Book boxes are shorter then the large plastic storage bins but about the same at the bottom but square. Keep a box open in all the closets for "the end". I think I would use sheets or something similar to put your fabric in. Open the sheet and try to line the sides to protect your fabric. If you used plastic, and it sets outside in the sun or in a heated container, it may sweat. If you plan to go ahead and pack, I would pack everything you do not need until after the move. Mark each box on the front of the box and on the top. Mark which room it came from and what is in the box. If you like, mark numbers on the box and write them down on an inventory list so you have a record of what you packed. That way, if you need to open a box, you know which box to open. Like, sewing room, batting and pillow forms, box #1. Box #2 is threads, gadgets, and fat quarters. If you have Ott lights, you could squeeze them in with the batting so they will be protected. If you have any questions on how to pack something, just send me a private message. I loved that packing job, I learned so much about the good paintings, the best antiques, to good wine, as well as meeting wonderful people. I would strip the house of small items, and then pack the lady's clothes and personal items (because they didn't want the men to touch them) and then the dining room and kitchen. If the family was coming into the U.S. from overseas, I would unpack and put everything in the cupboards and closets in about 4 hrs. I would ask the Mrs. where she wanted them, and in a short time, they were all in place. Best of luck, I wish I was there to help you.

Last edited by ragamuffin; 01-11-2015 at 09:31 PM.