View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM
quiltingcandy

Long before I became a quilter I was taught to re-use items. Growing up a lot of my clothes were hand-me downs and home-made. (Either I made my clothes or my mom.) Both my parents saved bags, books, anything that may have a second life. Anyone remember when getting a plastic bag was a novelty? We kept them to use again. Bags for bread were used in a milk carton next to the kitchen sink to collect the garbage because we didn't have a disposal. My dad would bring home the extra napkins he would get in a restaurant to use with his watercolor painting. Oh, don't forget the 3 pound coffee cans with the plastic lids but still sharp edges - there were so many left in the basement, thank heavens for the the recycling bin when I was clearing out their house. Since we now have recycling bins and centers I don't keep a fraction of what I used to. And we do donate to local thrift stores if we believe there is more use from an item.

I prefer to give away my scraps - mostly because I don't have the imagination and dither too much over what to use next. And I have given a friend my left over batting because she uses small pieces for bags and purses. But I really like the idea of using it for padding of delicate items to be stored. I will try to remember that suggestion.