Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Overlander

Default Old quilt remade for great grand daughter

Sorry, couldn't add the pic! This quilt started life in 1945, in Falkirk, Scotland. My mother made a small cot quilt while expecting her first child, my older sister. It came to Canada with them and was used by all of us. Mom died in 1980 and the little quilt came to me shortly after. It was in pretty good shape material wise, but the wadding/batting was almost non-existent by then. I used it as a wall hanging in my children's bedrooms for quite a few years. In 2002 I took up quilting and occasionally took out the little quilt to look at and ponder whether there was anything I could do with it. Most of the time it lived in my linen closet. Finally in 2012 I decided to take it apart and resquare all 35 hand embroidered blocks and set them into a sashed quilt that would be a bit bigger than the original. I intended to pass it on to my grand daughter's first child. Alice was born August, 2013!!! The sashing is machine quilted, but all the blocks are hand quilted in a single echo. It is my first hand quilting and I am pleased with the results. Although I am sad to see the quilt leave my home, I am thrilled to pass it on to a descendant of our family and I know my mother would approve.

Last edited by Overlander; 01-13-2015 at 01:32 PM.