View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Edie

I am saving the whole world, I have figured that out!!!!!! I have my fabrics in plastic containers, boxes, drawer boxes all over the place. I love those plastic containers and if I can save the planet by rescuing all the boxes for my fabric, thread, needles, ribbons, embroidery thread, scissors and whatever I can get to fit in them, I am going to do it. If neighbors don't want them, they know I gladly will use them (recycle); I live in the neck of the world where if someone puts out a plastic cabinet with drawers in them and a sign that says FREE, it's mine!!!!! I have a drawer where, when I am planning my next quilt, if I have a piece of fabric that will go with it, it goes in the drawer with a little label on the drawer front that says "Next Quilt".

I will admit that I do have one box that I keep the bird seed, cuttlebones, millet and a birdie bathtub in. It has real nice catches on them so the dog won't get into it. I am not going to go into left field with all the changes a body can do to help the environment. I am going to do what suits me and my home and my hobby. I look for 100% cotton in the design or color I want and I buy it. Yes, I do believe in buying American 100%! Not to change the subject, but have any of you worn nail polish from China - turned my nails orange; took about six months to get my nails my normal color - Sally Hanson is made in America).

I think it is up to us as individuals to do what we feel is best, not only for the environment, but for us. What could a little old (well, not that little) 76 year old broad do to make this country of ours unsustainable. I recycle cans, plastic, paper, I try to buy American. Sometimes it is impossible. My quilting frame is from China. Do I feel; guilty? No! I have tied down many a quilt with that frame and I like it. I can put it together. I can take it apart and put it in a box and store until the next time. It works.

Dina ----- you are looking for an ORANGE STICK . I have a few and love them. I know one of them was my aunts and she would probably be 119 now and I can see her when I was a child pushing her cuticle back with her orange stick and now I use it to keep things flat that I am going to sew over. Been using the same one for over 20 years now.

OK, I am done. Off the soap box! Back to my sewing. These conversations tax my brain sometimes. No one will let me be just happy doing what I want to do. It always is "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." I have paid my dues. That's all I have to say. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 01-14-2015 at 04:32 AM.