View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
cricket_iscute

Lovely table/desk. Congratulations.

How far is it from the floor to the top of the desk, where the bottom of the machine would sit? How tall are you?

I experimented quite a bit until I found my perfect ergonomics. I am 5'6 tall and the surface on which my machine sits is 29.5 inches from the floor. I did not have the machine recessed. I cut no holes in my beautiful, custom-made solid oak furniture, which I designed and hubby made. Instead, I designed a raised surface plus an insert/surround for the machine. The insert fits around the machine and nestles into the rest of the top. The rest of the top is permanently affixed, and only the surround can be removed and replaced. The needle plate in the bed of the machine, also the top of the raised surface and the surround, is 32 inches high. It's perfect for me. I use many different machines and have four different, custom-make oak inserts, which, between them, work for all my machines. This means my sewing surface is even and the quilt being quilted is well supported. Believe me, it makes all the difference!

I hope this description is enough to get you thinking. Please ask any questions. I cannot go downstairs to my sewing room and take pictures because I'm recovering from major surgery, but if it is really important to you, I could ask my husband if he would.

I suggest that, if you are working with a big project, you move your machine to the right a bit more.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 01-16-2015 at 05:46 PM.