View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 04:35 PM
n2scraplvr

Exclamation Cut-it-anyway-you-want Whirligig

Call it free-pieced, freestyle, liberated, improvisational or wonky, it's so fun to do! It was my 10th block when I said, whoa, I want the wide end of the blade in the center! So then I figured out I had to cut the squares face down; some face up, flip them right-side up, rotate the one on the right 180 degrees, flip it over and then I got some chunky looking ones! I wanted the majority of the blocks to be somewhat consistent and then I wanted 2 or 3 that were extreme from all the others. There's always an odd one in the group.

I pulled out the florals for this one and since the squares I was using were 5", I had some layer cake squares given to me that were perfect for this quilt. Laying 2 squares together to get 4 blades at once, cut anyway you like, gave me half of the blocks done. Then I'd repeat it again for the other half of the block. Later I grabbed 3" precut strips and cut pairs of individual blades, a dark and a light, and repeated that 3 more times for really wonky blocks!

It was fast to put together and I got to play with the great big florals -- a blue and white floral my seamstress made me a dress out of 51 years ago; another fabric I purchased a few days ago at Walmart (David Textiles), 1/4 yd. remnant for 8 cents!!!!! What a deal! You can't beat that!

Hope you enjoy my wonky scrappy and are inspired! (it's 65x87).

Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg