View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 05:51 AM
Macybaby

The thing with these old machines - they aren't an "Investment" meaning you can earn a decent return just by holding them and reselling.

They also aren't a good "job" as you won't be able to make much per hour for the time you spend.

However - they are a nice hobby, and one that can you can sell extras and parts and that helps offset (or cover) your costs. It's nice to have a hobby that can help pay for itself. Most don't.

I am very glad to hear you were able to help keep these out of the trash.

I hear too many stories of people just tossing it all - one antique seller told me that years ago he helped someone clean out from a sewing collection. They sold the machines, but all the "extras" like attachments and parts, they just put in several boxes and tossed. To them, since they weren't ON the machine, they were just extra junk they did not want to deal with.

Important lesson for me - to make sure I have things labeled so attachments STAY with the machine they belong to.

BTW - this happens with firearms at estate sales also - magazines and clips and other parts (like for muzzle loaders) get put together in a box because the sellers don't want to take the time to figure out what goes with which firearm. And for the uniformed, they may buy a gun thinking it won't be a big deal to get a magazine for it - (just like machines missing shuttles or bobbin cases) and then they find out that part is going to cost more than the gun (or sewing machine)!

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-18-2015 at 05:54 AM.