View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM
cjr

Seattle-Portland Or Story
Last Summer we drove to visit our daughter & fam in Fereral Way outside of Seattle. one of her friends was storing -selling stuff from 3 families. she invited me over to look at her sewing machines -4 in cabinets lined up in garage. After a discussionon how to and how much she should get for them she offered me one. When I asked price she gifted me a 1939 Singer 66 in desk cabinet. We brought it home to Las vegas with it in the back seat of our Mustang convertible. It just fit in, that we were able to close roof. Our toy poodle used kneehole as her dog house on the drive home.
Before going home we drove to Portland. While I was in Fabric Depot DH enclountered a man in the parking lot selling 2 Singers for $100.00. At that point we were very short on cash. DH wanted me to get the newer Singer (low endmodel) because it was newer then my 70s 778. because we could only scrape up $60 between us I said the old machine was a much better machine -- another 66, only this one is in carrying case. it sews well but needs a bobbin case.
I could not believe our luck.
After i got home I made a gorgous quilt from a panel I purchased earlier on that same trip for our DD friend. That nachine was from her 92 yr old aunt, who sewed a lot. Great finds.
Rust only miniumal on both machines considering moisture in that area.
Seattle is an old city and has many old machines from my occassional look on CL.