Thread: My sewing room
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 AM
Edie

I am in the process of cleaning up my sewing "area" and have relegated part of the basement as storage for my stuff - all in plastic boxes, hand labeled. I am down to the end with my last set of drawers which contain my Amish fabric. Three drawers full of solid colors. I have been separating all my fabrics according to color, print or solid, batik, fat quarters, over 1/4 yd but less than one, over 1/2 yd but less than two, etc. It is working. I am working to get this all ready for my new boarders - in the NE corner of my sewing area, I am going to hang a bird cage with two finches!!!!. Have them named - girl finch is Biddy and boy finch is Bubba!!!! (Only because in my old age watching old tv shows, I like Bubba "In the Heat of the Night". I will probably be getting them in a few months. I have two parakeets, but a parakeet will learn the song of a Finch (Zebra Finch) and with Bess,the dog, I should have quite the menagerie. I am learning how to make seed catchers for bird cages. I had forgotten (from childhood) that parakeets spit the shell of the seed and Old Lady Edie has to vacuum the area twice a day! My birds and the dog have B names - Bess is my avatar - she just turned 12, Bitz and BiBi (stands for Big Bird (he's yellow). Bitz in animal and bird names means "Cute". She is a pretty blue grey and is kind of laid back. But she can squawk with the best of them. After 54 years of living in a birdless home, I discovered that I have an allergy to the dust on the feathers of the parakeets.....sneeze, cough.....but I take an antihistamine/decongestant and am doing just great. I talk to them. Bess gets very upset when I take the cover off the cage in the morning. So, that is the story of what I am doing in my sewing room. I have my machine, my plastic cabinets, my cd player and my dog and birds. Bess likes to lay under the sewing table and curls herself in there when I sew. This togetherness is something else. Oh yah, I have one of those see-through bird houses on my window, this year am waiting for a wren, or maybe a Chickadee, more likely than not a sparrow. My windows have two clusters of grapes hanging (actually they are Christmas ornaments) and sun catchers. It is a very special place for me. And I love it.
When it is really nice and clean and I can look at a drawer and see if it says Thread or Sewing Machine Attachments and know which drawer to pull out and put it back in the right place. I do have a tendency not to put things back exactly where they belong and hopefully this will do the trick. Next I'll do the dresser drawers and the kitchen cabinets. Ha Ha!!!!! Have a good day. Edie PS - I do NOT plan to do this again!!!!!!!