Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Barb Wills

Default Researching Free Montion Quilting machines

I was looking for a machine that would be primarily for quilting.
I was able to test drive a HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen sit down model, a long arm setup for the same machine, a Juki industrial straight stitch machine.
I liked the sit down Handiquilter a lot but at $6000. it was a lot of money for just quilting. I was using it to quilt in five minutes.
The long arm was very fast but took time for setup and I was not able to feel like I had good control with my stitched. I also do not want to spend hours sanding to do this. If I was going to have a business quilting this would work. But the price is almost the same as a compact new car.
the Juki QE2010 Q was $1000, has here speed controls, does only straight stitch, no computer and can stitch 1500 stitches per minute. A real workhorse.
All of these. A hones had good reviews so it came down to price and not standing.
i bought the Juki from a local dealer who matched the Internet price. Threading and winding bobbins took a few minutes to learn. Free motion quilting took about five minutes to figure out.
i was quilting on a Pfaff 7550 and some of the things you do on the Juki are the opposite of the Pfaff.
The speed control is a key feature to help you get even stitches.
The Jumi comes with an automatic needle threaded, a thread cutter. I do not use the thread cutter as it seems a bit clunky. The motor hums I this machine which is also important to me.
I am an art quilter and exhibit all over the world and most quilts are very large- 6 feet by 6 feet being typical. For the 15-25 I do a year this Juki will serve me just fine.I am also a retired engineer so I evaluated machines from that aspect as well.
Hope this helps.