View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Default update on rough 66

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t258851.html

the link it where it all started.

First - I want to say that Evapo-Rust is not all that common around here.
Second - I went to three local hardware stores asking for it. In two of them the men working there tried to tell me I wanted naval jelly. The third place was nice enough just to say they didn't have it. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have it. Harbor Freight did but just in a humongous container. I went to pep boys. Not there. But Auto Zone did. Finally.

What at got the face plate clean was a paste of salt and lime juice. Smelled great.

I went to a smoke store looking for lighter fluid with naphtha. I could hardly breathe! Theirs didn't have naphtha so they sent me next door to the convenience store for Ronson - the fumes of which gave me an ocular migraine. But that passed.

I think it is clean now. As clean as I can get it without taking it way apart. I am too unskilled to try that. It is also oiled.

I have a 15 in a treadle cabinet. That machine is much smaller than the 66 and the hinges were different - two screw holes. The 66 hinges have one hole. But I tried switching the hinges and they are interchangeable. The 66 fits in the cabinet except if I want to close it up I have to take the back cover off. Not a problem because I leave it up.

It it sews fine. I took the tension assembly apart and cleaned it - only the second time I did that. The belt from the other machine seems to fit okay. I can work it with minimal effort.

Mr Stitchnripper was the enabler to get this machine. Come to find out that the Atlanta son is also an enabler because he found an electric 15 which looks full size in the picture he sent and then once that is up and running I will consider dispensing with the smaller 15. I haven't been able to find any info on the smaller size.

Its its been a fun project and keeps me out of the frig while I am doing all of this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]506873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg