View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 08:49 AM
maryb119

Default The Ruffle Experiment

This quilt is hot off the long arm. I used a 40 piece jelly roll sewn together end for end to make this quilt. I wanted it a little larger so I added a 2 1/2 inch strip of 'solid' batik purple every 5 strips of the jelly roll. The strip lengths are cut at 66 inches and then recut to even them up after they are sewn together. Then, I used my serger to edge stitch a longer 2 1/2 inch strip to gather for the ruffle and sewed it on the solid purple. Then, I added the inner border (a 1 1/2 inch border) and then a 4 inch border of the same batik print I used for the ruffles. Sorry, there is no pattern but it finishes at 68 X 75 inches...a nice throw size. When I quilted it, I stitched each strip and also a straight stitch right down the middle of the ruffle. It really helps it to fluff up like a ruffle should. It was quick and easy to make. I will hand stitch the binding down while watching TV. I just couldn't wait to share the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails ruffles-1.jpg   ruffles-2.jpg   ruffles-3.jpg   ruffles-4.jpg