Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
SteveH
Banned

so, I am sure we have all had THAT screw.....

You know the one. It is the ONE screw on a machine or cabinet that just will not budge or has a slot so messed up you cannot get a screwdriver to bite...

On this machines folding top, there are 12 hinges with 4 screws each and two hinges with 6 screws each.

60 Screws....

59 screws that were like a good fishing experience. Not easy but with patience and persistence, you get results.

1 screw that was being THAT way.

That screw really thought it was all that... No liquid helped, no gentle tapping with a hammer to loosen, no manly amount of strength, nothing.

I even considered surrendering and just polishing the hinge in place and letting it go at that........

But wait!!! I live in the 21st century! I can use power tools!

and if you are going to use power tools, use POWER tools!

so here is a picture of my buddy and I at work yesterday using our cheap bench mill at work to re-machine a new slot. (It helps having access to a mill and 1/32" end mill bits)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506915[/ATTACH]

Worked like a charm, the screw is actually reusable. Not that I'm gonna, I bought a supply of brass slotted screws.
(but I am keeping the originals with the machine)

Last night the board and hinge were cleaned, and tonight I will do the final assembly and have a working folding top treadle!!!

Pics to follow
Attached Thumbnails 20150119_171307.jpg