View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Basketman

Default Colored pencils for quilting details

I recently read that colored pencils can be used to create shadows, textures and details on quilts and can be made permanent with a fabric medium and heat. I know there are fabric paints, but this use of pencils ( maybe permanent markers too?) is something many of the board members might be familiar with and possibly use. I also read that you work on the dull side, not with sharp points and once you have the look you are seeking, you then apply a thin coat of medium and it transfers /migrates to the front, but this sounds a bit sketchy and we all know that the internet can sometimes be very misleading. Before I go out and buy a bunch of supplies and learn that this is bogus and I have wasted my money and time...I am appealing to the experts. If this is true, can you give me a heads up as to what you use, a bit about how it is done ( maybe with some references for me to read) and what to avoid? I have searched here and found a few previous postings mentioning inktense pencils, and if price is any indication that they are the best choice... then they are number one, but are they or any pencil worth pursing to add the extra pizzaz to your quilt?