View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM
MarionsQuilts

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Beautiful quilt but if it isn't too late, I would not recommend birthing a quilt for FMQ. The nature of what happens to the quilt during the quilting process is not conducive to the birthing method. One usually ends up with huge ugly gathers and puckers when combining these two methods. The birthing method is more better suited to tied quilts. If you have already prepared it for birthing then tie it or do small machine tacks at regularly space intervals, or take it apart and baste the quilt sandwich traditional way of your choosing (glue, adhesive spray, safety pins or needle and thread basting) and put binding on it after quilting is completed. Good luck and please share with us when you're done, and also share if you were able to successfully FMQ and birthing if you decide to try anyway. I have never done it successfully with small samples.
I haven't got that far yet ... still waiting for the rest of my fabric to arrive.

I hadn't thought of that ... I was trying to come up with a way of not having to bind it LOL and loved the idea of "birthing" (such a funny term hahaha!)

My other option is to send it off to Pauline who has long arm quilted most of my quilts for me ... And I might just end up doing that .... I really don't want to wreck all my hard work with this beautiful fabric!

I will likely end up sending it to her (the more I think about it, that's what's going to happen), and then practise birthing a quilt and doing FMQ on a much smaller piece.

Thanks so much for the heads up!