Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 AM
huskyquilter

I am a total newbie as well, and I'm working on a twin size quilt. There are a couple things I've gathered from tutorials, this board, and my own screw-ups that have been a pretty big help from when I started, vs. where I am now (about 80% done quilting.

1. Gloves - A huge help!

2.. Speed - I learned that my sewing machine has a half speed setting. This has helped a ton because my random over-excitement or foot spasms don't end up causing a huge problem. If you can set your machine speed to limit itself it will help.

3. Triceps - yep. They exist... Quilting will make you painfully away of that fact.

4. Music or tv - this one helps me a lot. I have a pretty bad case of ADD and if I find my mind wandering it's usually followed by veering off course. So, I found it really helps to have pandora or netflix streaming in the background. Keeps that restlessness focused. Music is the best for me because it also somehow manages to help sync up my hand, eye, foot, coordination.

5. Bulkiness - the quilt will create drag as your sewing, so find a way to limit the drag. I manage this by having the dog crate right against my sewing table and it helps take some of the pressure off. I was having all kinds of problems with skipping stitches, and I realized it was the drag of the quilt, once I dealt with the weight, things got a lot smoother.

6. Go easy on yourself and yes, PRACTICE! My first attempt at fmq, literally first, was a table runner I was going to give my mom for Christmas. It was a grey/white/yellow color scheme, and I decided to try to fmq grey trees on part of the white fabric. Wow. Those 'trees' could only be described as drunken. I also marked with a chalk pencil, then ironed and it didn't wash out... So, mom got an outfit from banana republic instead.