View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Bee Beatty

Thanks for all the nice comments on Billi's block. I am especially happy that you like it Billi. Sometimes I start a block thinking its going to be a snap.....and whamo!...it makes me want to run away from the sewing room and go take a walk.

For this one...I was expecting the worst.....so I paid careful attention to the directions...and followed them step-by-step......with exception to the size of the original cut. I have learned something very helpful. Anytime I head into a complicated block with half and quarter square triangles or many small squares and rectangles - I now do two things:

1. I cut the original square of fabric 1/2 inch bigger than required in the pattern instructions. for example 2-7/8" unfinished square becomes 3-3/8". Using the 3-3/8" square, I cut on the diagonal in half and in quarters to make either half or quarter square triangles.

2. I cut the original squares and rectangles required in the pattern instructions 1/8" larger on the left and top side of the square than required in the pattern instructions, for example a 3-1/2" unfinished square would be cut at 3-5/8" x 3-5/8" to finish at 3 inches.

In short, I add 1/2 inch to each cut to make quarter and half square triangles and 1/4 inch to each cut to make squares and rectangles. I press and square-up after each assembly of any two pieces before going on.

Believe me, I am no expert and sometimes if I am really lucky, a complicated block turns out good....like this one. But I want to learn to make the more difficult ones, too. Thanks to all of you who have taught me so much!

Buzzy Bee for sure today