Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
romille

Default Warm & Natural batting - quilt is so thin after a year!

I haven't finished many quilts, only four... and three of those are rarely used. The one that has been washed many times over is the last quilt I made, which I gave to a friend when she had a little boy. When I gave it to her, I told her I meant for it to be used and she definitely has! I was at their house today for the little boy's first birthday party and I happened to see the quilt laying across the banister when I ducked upstairs to change my own little girl's diaper.

It is so thin! It started out thin anyway, but now it is so thin you would hardly know it had batting in it. I used a crib sized package of cotton Warm and Natural, that I think I bought at Joann. The stitching, fabric, and binding have all held up beautifully at least. Well, the fabric has faded a tad but maybe that is just because I pulled most of it from the "organic" shelf at the quilt shop.

So help me out... did I go wrong? Is the batting at the chain shops lower quality even though it is the same brand as at the LQS? Should I always be using more than one layer of batting? I have been thinking I want to try a couple layers of batting in my next quilt, which I will hopefully be quilting in a few weeks, but that was just because I wanted the quilting to pop more. I definitely want my quilts to stand up over time, and to be warm. It had never occurred to me a year of frequent washing would do that to the batting.

And now I have just realized it has been a year since I finished a quilt. Sigh. Do the 5 UFOs help mitigate that at all??