View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
omak

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I know a lot of people still use treadles, it is mind boggling to me with all the great electric machines offered today. To each their own.
One should never assume that you will always have electricity will be available to you <g> ... I doubt I will ever go to a totally electronic machine for just that reason ... I figure I can figure out how to turn a manual machine to treadle (pulleys and straps) ... but, I will never be able to make an electronic machine all it was designed to do if we start going into power shortages because some "brainiac" decides - - we don't NEED electricity - - or starts rationing it ...
besides that, the newer machines are not as durable and well-made as the old machines were/are ... a hundred years from now (fifty years from now - - heck!) I will be amazed if any of these electric "marvels" are around if fifteen years!
The treadle experts can correct me if I am wrong, but just as with classic automobiles ... a do-it-yourself person would be hard-pressed to be able to manufacture parts for "modern" conveniences ...