View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I agree with Tartan. Call the shop. Ask if there is a project in mind or should you bring your own. Ask what kind of supplies will be available....cutting board, ironing board, iron? Retreats can be 2 types....one is the type where you bring whatever you want to sew or finish and everyone is working on their own projects. The other kind is one where there is a main project, maybe a Judy Niemeyer class where everyone will be learning a certain pattern or quilting process. Find out which one this is, then make your decision.

As far as your sewing machine, I have a small, inexpensive, WM Brother that I take to classes, because it is lightweight and easy to carry. A lot of quilters who go to retreats do have several machines. The heavier, more featured ones that they leave at home, and the smaller more portable one they take to classes. All of us had to start somewhere. We didn't buy a machine that costs several thousand dollars until we knew we really liked sewing.

I have one of those portable covers where you sit the machine in it, and then buckle on the top, which comes all the way down over the unit. You can't use either when you are sewing, so I most often have to find a place for it under a table. The rolling carts are better, because you can place your sewing supplies, ie rotary cutter, ripper, threads, projects, pins, etc on the top of it and roll it all in. Often, there is extra room inside to place plastic bags of fabric so that the sewing machine doesn't move around.

Ask about lighting. If you are sewing on dark fabrics, you may want to take a small spotlight to help if you need to rip or if you need to see your seams better. I take a multi-plug device and an extension cord if I am going to take multiple electrical items. Most retreat rooms don't have enough power to handle several irons, so usually that is provided. I like a small table beside me, think fold-up $10 WM tv tray, to hold fabric, blocks or whatever. I usually take a very small fan, just in case I get too hot. I, also, take a small cutting board, because a lot of patterns, especially with HST's, require a lot of trimming and a small 12 x 18 board may just be the item that keeps you going. I spent one sewing retreat day trimming down over 500 HST's (trimmed down they were 4 1/2" squares) on s small 6x6" revolving cutting board. It was so nice, because I could sit where I was sewing and just keep on trimming.

Ask if there will be a fridge and will meals be provided. What about drinks? Do you need to bring your own.

Bottom line....I always want to know more than any notice tells me and I love going to sewing workshops and retreats. I get so much done when there is no other life to get in the way.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-26-2015 at 04:44 AM.