Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Down here, we mostly like thinner quilts because we have so much summer. Putting 2 or 3 quilts on the bed makes more sense than having one really thick one we can only use for a few weeks. All my beds have quilts on them all year round and most are filled with W&N. I have used the Hobbs a couple of times and eventually it is as flat as the W&N which suits our lifestyle perfectly. If I was making a quilt for someone who lived in the northern states or Alaska, I would probably double up on any batting I used or use blankets inside as one of the layers. I like that the W&N quilts aren't so heavy that you can't work with them. I don't like that it takes so long to dry a really big one.
We use two quilts on our bed. One thicker "comforter" type, and one thinner machine quilted one. In the summer only the thin one is on; in the spring and fall, we put the comforter on; and in the dead of winter (which is sometimes five or six months here in Wisconsin) they are both on the bed.
I also have an afghan I made 30 years ago with worsted weight wool yarn in afghan stitch (so it is really heavy) that I can put on when I'm chilled. Sometimes I get that way, and I can't sleep when I'm cold.