Thread: Storm at Sea
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I love your Storm at Sea quilt, it's gorgeous. Like you, I started out doing more advanced quilts, mainly because I didn't know any better and no one had told me I couldn't do it. A fellow quilter and myself made a Storm at Sea quilt as the raffle quilt of my church's annual Holiday Fair, done in greens. Another quilter and I divided up the blocks, then I put them together. Because the blocks were pieced on 2 separate sewing machines, there was a bit of a mismatch when it came to assembling the blocks; although it turned out to be a beautiful quilt. I learned a valuable lesson that if you start a quilt, remember that 1/4" on one machine may not be quite the same 1/4" on another quilt, lesson learned. I think Mary Ellen Hopkins said it best in one of her quilting books, that each person had a PPM, personal private measurement, and as long as it was consistent, you'd be just fine. The quilt was raffled off and made a good amount of money for the church. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something because it seems to be too advanced for you, because you might be pleasantly surprised.