Thread: Singer 185K
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM
clevermom3kids

Default Singer 185K

Yesterday morning I'd never heard of those numbers, merely dabbling in old machines. I frequently get subliminal messages from thrift stores calling my name and the one just down the road was calling me, I knew not why, but succomed to the siren's call. Just as I was ready to leave the store, I spotted a cute little green box and opened it and found this very nicely preserved machine.

Since it was Tuesday and I could use my 10% "Senior Citizen" discount, any financial negatives associated with buying it were negligible. And I'd just had some crazy family issues and felt a little retail therapy was in order. So $44 later, I brought home what I'm calling "Simple Green".

Everything I've learned about this machine has come in the last 12 hours so if anyone wants to enlighten me some more, I'd be grateful. I've learned it's from Scotland, born in 1959 and about 5 months younger than I am, it sews pretty well although needs some tension adjustment, the box is cracked/repaired on the bottom and the light is functional and while not a great deal, not too bad either (opinions on that?).

I get these old machine for entertainment (or apparently for the pretty colors; sigh!), know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to do any big fixes/repairs without some major guidance. This machine has joined my mini herd including an old Sewmor, a Bernette, a Kenmore mini Ultra, and my regular machine, a Pfaff 7510.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on any aspect of this machine. I'm also interested in hearing about how it compares to a featherweight and why it was so much cheaper than the FW's I've seen advertized around here.
Attached Thumbnails img_0013.jpg