Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
kiffie2413

I can do regular binding...I prefer to do the bring the backing around to the front, fold it under so I have a finished edge, and miter the corners...on smaller quilt projects, and sometimes even on my larger quilts.
The few times I've done the pillowcase method, I also stitch all the way around about a quarter of an inch in. It reinforces the closure on the "turn opening" (Kifasaurus words again), and I'm like rwquilts, I like how it looks. I think if you do it in a contrasting thread, it would probably look more like a binding..hmmm...ideas, ideas...

I've watched some really great shows on Quilting Arts where they are making postcards, raw edge finish, but they do decorative stitching using decorative threads around the edges, and sometimes do more than 1 time around and different stitches... they're so pretty.

I tried it on some of the extra Christmas ornaments I made for the orny swap here. I did use pinking shears around all edges, then did decorative stitches with metallic threads. I thought it turned out pretty nice. I won't do that on our mug rugs or mini quilt swaps here on QB. But I may try it on something I'm keeping.

Brat, I'd think an experienced quilter would know not to say "such and such is cheating". As someone has to be the 1st to try something...and if nothing new is ever tried/done how can we learn?
How dull the world would be if we all did the same thing...or liked the same things...

I collect pigs. It was a collection that was "started for me" years ago by a friend's hubby...and somehow it took on a life of it's own...lol

Regards,
Kif- aka: NOT an experienced quilter, but one who just loves to quilt!

Last edited by kiffie2413; 01-28-2015 at 12:22 PM.