Thread: Low sugar
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So, stevia can be grown in Illinois? Like an herb? Then would one dry it.... How to make sweetener out of plant?
My niece lives in Chicago and she planted Stevia and couldn't figure out what happened to the leaves. Her kids were picking them and chewing on them. So, yes. Stevia can be grown in Illinois. I don't know how it is converted. I do know and I just remembered that we have a nursery not far from here and they sell Stevia seeds. Check your local nurseries (the ones that sell, shrubs, trees, annuals, perennials, vegetables and seeds. Look for the fancy seeds like Sweet Dumpling squash - (they too, are very very good - little yet big enough for a whole one for one person. Good luck. You could also call a nursery and see if they will have the seed.......or Google Stevia - purchase seeds. Think Spring! Edie

PS - I just googled Stevia. In Zones 9-11 they are perennials. Otherwise they are annuals.
All kinds of information from the different seed companies. No calories, organic, very healthy, you name it. Or, you can buy Truvia in packets and/or jars. I buy the jars - $5.39, lasts a long time. Now I'll say Good Luck again.

Last edited by Edie; 01-30-2015 at 04:54 AM.