View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 AM
RugosaB

Originally Posted by dcamarote View Post
Here is my question; which machine do you favor and why?
I'm only answering because you asked:

Back in the 80's my Singer died and I just ended up at a Viking dealer to fix it. He told me it was full of plastic and I just wore it out, which was believable since I used it a lot.

I remember asking him "You got anything without plastic in it, with no computer (computerized machines were just coming on the scene)?" I ended up with a Viking 630. It had stitches I never used, or use, and I love it. It enables my abilities to shine.

I still have that machine and use it, but then I had a TBI (brain injury)in a car accident in 2008. One of the lasting deficiencies it left me with is the inability to learn how new things work, but for some reason it left me with all my sewing abilities I had.

So I got to thinking, I'm screwed if this old machine dies, and try to find parts to fix it, if it's even fixable. So, I started to buy 630's on ebay. I ended up paying $30 - $50 for each and have 4-5 (can't remember), for parts. Thing is, they ALL work! One even came with a walking foot.

It was a machine schools used when schools bought such things, so I guess it's pretty tough.
I would never suggest that route for someone looking for a new machine, but you asked!