View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 AM
truthsetsyoufree

Smile sergers

Originally Posted by macgyver70 View Post
Hi there,
I'm considering buying a serger this year. I'm determined to buy from a dealer because I've heard that they receive a higher quality product than discount stores. The one that I want is "on sale" for $1500. Can I expect to find better prices from dealers at a sewing/quilting expo event? Thanks.
Hi,
I have owned 3 or 4 sergers over the past 25 years. The first I bought from a Jo Ann's store and I was aghast that I would pay $500 for a sewing machine. That's a barrel of laughs now. My latest embroidery machine was ~ $13,000. Thank God for interest free financing.
At any rate, the subsequent sergers were purchased from a dealer (Viking), and I continued to upgrade. Bernina also makes a very good serger. My current one (Viking) is the 4-6 spool which does the cover stitch, etc. Though I mostly use the 4 thread serge or rolled edge, the option to do cover stitch and other decorative functions is nice if you really get into it-and it's not possible to know that before you purchase your first one. I personally would not consider spending $1500 on a machine unless it was from a dealer who would offer free user classes for it, because there is obviously a learning curve for each new machine, no matter how experienced the sewer.
Plus you then have a warrantee and a certified repair person in case that is needed. For that $13,000 embroidery machine? It just spent 2 weeks in the hospital, had the motherboard and another electronic panel replaced- all under warrantee. As our beloved machines get more complicated, there is more to malfunction and the repairman is our permanent BF. Hope this is helpful~