View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Riebejamen

I'm new to the message board, so forgive any bad behavior! :) A friend of mine is a longarm quilter and she asked me to take on a client of hers that wanted an antique-looking quilt repaired. I was very specific as to repair vs. restore. She said he wants it repaired. Now the cost part. Obviously, I charge for materials (ie fabric). How do I fairly charge labor? There are two blocks that need to be replaced in this quilt. There is no batting, and simple hand quilting. Block One I used new fabric and salvaged old fabric. Removing and replacing and quilting took me about 9 hours total for that block. I have no intention of doing the same with Block Two. Both fabrics are too rotted. I'm replacing with similiar looking fabrics and machine piecing like Block One. I've been told to guess between what I would pay someone else to do it, and what I should charge for my time. The blocks finish at 11 1/2", I've had to hand stitch them back into the quilt, and then hand quilt. (okay beginning hand quilter I am!). Suggestions? (let me know if anyone wants to see it, I'll post a pix!) Thanks!